Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Citizen's Oath: More Important Now Than Ever!

America faces an unsure future that will require the work and dedication of all American citizens to come together and assume our duty to to stand alongside the government of we the people and take responsibility for the path our nation is to follow into the future.

Michael Weiser writes in the Miami Herald that the Citizen's Oath "was authored by former Pennsylvania Sen. Harris Wofford and other prominent Americans convened by the National Conference on Citizenship. The Citizens Oath reminds us of our responsibilities as Americans by asking us to consider our civic duties, even as our new president considers his:"

"The Citizen's Oath"

As an American I embrace the responsibilities of self-government.

• I pledge to learn and live the principles set forth in the charters that define our freedoms: the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

• I pledge to keep myself informed about the challenges that face our country and world and to work with others to meet those challenges.

• I pledge to assist persons in need and thereby strengthen the bonds among us.

• I pledge to register and vote when I am of age, in every election in which I am eligible.

• I pledge to conduct myself according to the highest standards of civic decency, to foster those standards throughout my community and to expect them of all public officials.

Through these acts, I commit myself to building a more just, humane and ethical nation, for my own and all future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment